Are you working with an ASL interpreter for the first time? Don’t worry! PAWS is here to help. We put together a few tips to keep in mind when interacting with an ASL interpreter.
1. Always speak to and make eye contact with the person who is Deaf or Hard of Hearing, not the interpreter.
2. Address the person directly! For example, say, “what is your name” not “ask her what her name is.”
3. Speak in your normal tone and pace.
4. The interpreter must interpret everything, don’t request that they leave something out.
5. Be yourself and relax! If you are unsure of how you should act in a current situation, just ask!