Here are some tips to help ensure that this Halloween is spooktacular for you and your canine friends!
Happy Halloween to all!
- Keep candy out of your dog’s reach. It is hard to resist, even for a well behaved pup. Remember that chocolate is toxic to dogs. Symptoms of chocolate poisoning may include vomiting, diarrhea, rapid breathing and increased heart rate. Sugar free candy, gum and mints may contain xylitol which can be deadly to dogs. Even in small amounts it can cause a sudden drop in blood sugar. If you suspect that your pup may have gotten into the sweets you should contact your veterinarian immediately
- Keep candy wrappers out of your pups reach. Wrappers, especially tin foil, can cause gastric upset.
- Keep your pup confined and away from the door. Repeated ringing of the doorbell, people yelling trick or treat and the door frequently opening to people in costumes can be scary and overwhelming for your pets. It is best to keep them in another room or in their crate away from the confusion.
- Some screen doors have an upper and lower screen in them. I like to take the lower screen out so that I can hand out candy easily and lock the door to create a barrier between my dogs and the trick or treaters. This way you don’t have to worry about them sneaking out an open door.
- Make sure that your pet has an ID tag attached to its collar just in case it does sneak out of the house, or become frightened and bolt.
- Keep lit pumpkins out of your dog’s reach. Wagging tails or excited pups can easily knock them over causing the dog to be burned, or a fire to start.
- If your pup does need to go outside on Halloween night it is best to take it out on leash and supervise while it is out there.
- If you decide that your pup needs a costume make sure that it fits properly and that it isn’t unsafe or overwhelming for them.
- If you take your dog out Trick or Treating with the kids be sure that it isn’t overwhelmed by the whole situation